Please note that gift subscriptions feature has been introduced as a Beta feature, meaning it's ready for real-world use while we gather user feedback to enhance its functionality and address any minor issues.
Gift subscriptions feature allows you to configure gift offers and let your customers buy them for their friends and family.
Gift subscriptions feature involves a gifter, a recipient, and a gift.
Gifter - a customer who buys a gift (a current subscriber or non-subscriber).
Recipient - a person who receives a gift: a current subscriber or a person that doesn’t have a subscription yet.
Gift - a subscription offer: monthly, 3-month, 6-month, or annual (excluding weekly and seasonal subscriptions) that is purchased by a gifter for a recipient.
Gifting process entails:
- gift creation (enabling selling an offer as a gift via Cleeng dashboard)
- gift purchase
- gift edition (optional)
- gift distribution (via a standard email or custom email/notification utilizing giftReadyForDelivery webhook)
- gift verification
- gift redemption
You can use gift subscriptions feature with MediaStore SDK Components (minimium version 5.4.0).
The sections below show an example of the customer experience with gift subscriptions.
- Enable selling an offer as a gift using the Cleeng dashboard during the offer creation/edition process.
- Set a checkout URL in the Cleeng dashboard - this is where a recipient will be redirected to redeem their gift (if you are using the Checkout component - add link to checkout page; if you are using a separate RedeemGift component - make sure to add a URL redirecting there). The URL will be sent to a recipient on a delivery date.
For more information, see Enabling selling an offer as a gift
MediaStore SDK Components:
You can use gift subscriptions feature with MediaStore SDK Components minimum version 5.4.0.
If you use only Purchase component, you need to import the RedeemGift component too, and ensure that it is displayed to logged in users only. The Purchase component alone will allow you to purchase gifts, but the RedeemGift component is necessary to redeem gifts.
The sections below show an example of the customer experience with gifting.
If a given offer is purchasable as a gift (the appropriate settings must be first made in the dashboard), the checkout mode looks slightly different.
Two additional options are available:
- Purchase for myself
- Purchase as a gift
The following purchase scenarios are available:
- Offer is purchasable as a gift and the customer is already subscribed to it.
In this scenario, the Purchase component will be rendered with the “Purchase for myself” option inactive. Only the “Purchase as a gift” option is active.
- Offer is purchasable as a gift and the customer is not yet subscribed to it.
In this scenario, the Purchase component is rendered with both options active and the customer can choose the preferred one:
- When the “Purchase for myself” option is selected, a standard purchase flow will be triggered and the customer will be able to subscribe to the offer.
- When the “Purchase as a gift” option is selected, an additional section will be displayed that will allow the customer (gifter) to provide the delivery details: a recipient’s email, a personalized message for the recipient, a delivery date and time.
- In the scenario when offer is purchasable as a gift - if you want to open Purchase or Checkout Component in “Purchase as a gift” mode directly (for example you want “Buy as gift” link to redirect users to checkout with “Purchase as a Gift” active), use the query parameter
- If you want to open the Checkout component in the “Redeem” mode directly, use the query parameter
A purchased gift can be updated (for example a delivery date, or a personalized message). The edit function is available in the TransactionList component.
Purchased gifts can be updated not later than on the last day before the day of delivery (e.g. if today is 22nd August 2023 and the original delivery date for the gift you purchased is 23rd August 2023, the last day you can edit is 22nd August 2023).
This is possible in the Payment History section (TransactionList component) where you select the gift purchase transaction.
Selecting the “Edit gift delivery details” option will display a form with delivery details (a recipient’s email, a personalized message, and a delivery date and time).
If delivery details are still editable, a customer can update them in the provided form.
If delivery details cannot be edited any more, the current details are presented in the form, available for preview.
A dedicated RedeemGift component is avilable for this purpose.
Here is the overview of the gift redeeming process:
- On the delivery date the recipient of the gift receives an email with the gift code.
- The recipient needs to log in to the client application or create a new account.
- In the “Redeem your gift” screen, the recipient verifies the gift code.
- Once the gift code is verified, the component will display what will happen when the gift is redeemed or information why it cannot be redeemed, for example:
- The existing subscription will be extended by one billing period
- A new subscription will be created for free
- A code is invalid
- A code has already been used
- The recipient needs to confirm in order to redeem the gift.
Good to know
The “Thank you” note after redeeming a gift provides information for recipients that to retain access after a gift expires, they will need to provide a payment method.
If a recipient has a payment method added to their account, they will be charged on a recurring basis after their gift expires.
- Create a giftable offer in the dashboard.
- Define a checkout URL in the dashboard. It will be sent to a recipient on a delivery date. This will be the URL to which a recipient will be redirected to redeem their gift.
Customer's (gifter's) side:
- Display checkout for the created offer.
- Check if “Purchase as a gift” option is available.
- Complete the required information with test data and purchase the offer as gift.
- Go to the customer’s (gifter’s) “Transactions list” and check if the transaction is in the list and if there is “Edit gift delivery details” button next to it.
- Edit the delivery details.
- To get a gift code: fetch a transaction and
targetIdof the gift, make sure that returned
gift(use Fetch customer transactions), then use Get a gift endpoint with the obtained
targetId(the ID of the gift).
Customer's (recipient's) side:
- Follow the link in the email. If the redeem screen is not rendered, but checkout screen is displayed - use the "Redeem here" button.
- Redeem the gift.
- The gift subscription will appear on the account of the user who has redeemed the gift code for it (recipient).
- The recipient will have an active subscription on their account, but they won't have any transaction record.
Updated about 1 month ago